I have had a little time to work on the cabinet that will go in a corner of our kitchen, despite the bitter cold weather here. The problem is that glues don’t set properly when the temperature is this low, and it has been a challenge getting the temperature up — even with a propane heater and sunny days. The weather should be getting warmer over the next few days, but I will be back at work for the next week.
Anyway, back to the cabinet. I have beveled the drawer fronts, a detail I took from the Dentist’s Desk I am using as an inspiration for this piece. The drawers are in and have been rough-fit into their openings. I dovetailed the drawers, making a very strong joint, and a decorative one, as well.
And, I have accomplished what I wanted with the bottom portion. We need a place to put newspapers, etc for recycling, and I wanted a way to pull out a large “drawer” which would contain a recycling bin. I designed this to look like two doors, but when opened, it slides out like a drawer.
Finally, I have made some progress on the top section with the roll top. The part that will be seen inside of the top section has been connected to the ends with mortise and tenon joinery.
Here are a couple of photos: